Mushroom Dum Biryani
Dum Biryani is normally thought to be non-vegetarian. But me, being a vegetarian, have to innovate something with it.
So, I used my favorite mushrooms in it. It is easy and quick. As I eliminated the work and hours of traditional Dum. It is super and juicy. Do try it.
- Diced Mushroom – 1 cup
- Sliced Onion – 1
- Cloves/Laung – 2 -3
- Black Pepper whole – 3-4
- Salt – as per taste
- Chili Powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Soaked Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 3 cups
- Oil – for frying & greasing
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Whole Cinnamon – 1
- Food color – a pinch
- Fried Onion for garnishing – 2 medium
- In a deep pan, boil water, add green cardamom, and salt.
- Tear bay leaf and whole cinnamon with hands and add to simmering water.
- Now add soaked rice and cook it.
- Once all water is evaporated and rice is cooked, mix food color in little water and sprinkle on rice.
- Mix it so it forms the color and leave aside to cool.
- In another pan, heat oil and fry onion till golden brown. Remove and cool.
- In same pan, remove extra oil and leave around 1 tbsp of it.
- Add cloves and whole black pepper.
- Mix in onion and cook till they are translucent.
- Now throw mushroom and all spices.
- Cook it till water released by mushroom is evaporated.
- In a serving dish [ I used microwave one], add half of the rice to form the first layer.
- Add Mushrooms to form second layer and fried onions to form next.
- Repeat it till every ingredient is used up.
- Serve hot with raita.
- Relish it.