I love lettuce as you can use it as a wrap for many salads and dishes. So while I was on the go to make some patras, I thought why not use Lettuce. So here’s a twisted recipe of regular Gujarati Patras.
- Lettuce Leaves – 4
- Chopped Musk Melon – 7-8 pieces
- Coconut water – ¼ cup and extra if needed
- Gram Flour/Besan – ½ cup
- Red Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Chia seeds – a pinch
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp and a pinch for garnishing
- Mustard Seeds – a pinch
- Water – for boiling
- Oil – ½ tsp
- With soft hands, peel the lettuce leaves, wash, and keep them aside to dry.
- Grind melon pieces and coconut water together into smooth paste.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind chia seeds and fennel seeds. (they should be coarse)
- In a bowl, mix besan, chili powder, salt, coriander powder, chaat masal, turmeric powder, chia and fennel seeds. Add the melon and coconut water into it – to make a smooth waste. If required more water, use coconut water.
- Take a lettuce leaf, spread besan mixture, top it with another lettuce leaf, and put besan mixture again. Repeat for next leaves.
- Now, start folding them with lightly but firmly.
- Steam them in double boiler for 15 – 20 minutes or till knife comes out clean.
- Bring to room temperature and cut medium size pieces.
- In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, chia seeds & fennel seeds, and let it crackle. Add cut lettuce pieces.
- Garnish with fennel seeds and serve it with sauce or chutney!