Chocolate & Coffee with Lemon Grass Vol Au Vents (Puff Pastry)

I had these Vol Au Vents lying for some time now. While, I had already decided that I would play with chocolate for my first trial with Vol Au Vents; I wasn’t sure about flavors.




After lot of pondering and checking my kitchen, I thought of clubbing my two favorite flavors – chocolate and coffee. Now, this isn’t new thing that I was doing but I had to give it a twist. So there it was – some lemon grass added to brewing coffee and I was set for them. 

Coming to the recipe –


Ingredients:

  • Dark Chocolate – ¼ piece
  • Coffee – two tablespoon
  • Roughly Chopped Lemon Grass – ¼ teaspoon
  • Water – 2-3 tablespoon
  • Vol Au Vents – 6-8 pieces
  • Chocolate Syrup (Optional) – As required
  • Powdered Sugar – for garnishing

Method:

  • Dissolve two-tablespoon coffee in 4 tablespoon of water.
  • Heat it on low flame and add lemon grass. (We just have to heat/simmer it for 5-6 seconds)
  • Cover it and let coffee absorb the lemon grass flavor.
  • Melt chocolate using double boiler method.

  • Add half of the coffee mixture while chocolate melts. It will get thick so not to worry.
  • Let it come at room temperature and then add rest of the coffee mixture. It will give you semi-liquid consistency.
  • Cover the outer layer of vol au vents with chocolate syrup and freeze it for 2-3 minutes.
  • Fill it with chocolate & coffee with lemon grass filling.
  • Garnish with powdered sugar.
  • Freeze for 4-5 minutes and relish it!


Notes:

  • The mixture tastes very strong. If you do not like too strong flavors, temper it down by mixing sugar sugar while melting chocolate or afterwards.
  • You can add different essence like rose, vanilla, chocolate to change the flavors.
  • You can opt to use the thick mixture of chocolate you get while melting it, too. 

Comments