Jay Bhavani Vadapav, Shahibaug Review

“When hunger strikes, tempting food comes to your mind” – this has always been true for me. Whenever, hunger gets me completely, I get visions ranging from exotic meals to roadside lowries.

This time, my quest to satisfy my hunger led me to Jay Bhavani Vadapav, Shahibaug.  Situated on a busy corner of main road, this shop has nothing grand about itself. A small space; with few chairs and lot of tummy filler varieties.




The menu was scribbled on huge board and had various items like pav bhaji, sandwich, dosa, uttappa, vadapav, dabeli and many more. Being famous for vadapav, as Amdavadi’s will vouch for it, we decided to try out vadapav and dabeli in oil along with cheese sandwich. However, the decision was not easy, given to so many options in front of us.



Instead of eating it there, I got the things packed and returned home. Accompanied with green chutney and sauce; I started to enjoy the snacks. Taking the very first bite into oil vadapav made me relish a very satisfying taste. I have eaten many vadapav but none can beat Jay Bhavani’s. The pav was fresh and you could feel its softness. The vada were also crispy and tasted as fried few minutes ago. There was splash of red chili paste inside the vadapav that made it unique from the rest. It was surprising to see that to add to its taste, it had only few ingredients.



Next was the Dabeli. Lightly toasted, the Dabeli contained masala made from boiled and mashed potatoes along with diced onion and pomegranate. The pomegranate gave the right amount of tanginess it needed. The Dabeli too had simple masala – neither too spicy nor too bland. You can easily gulp 4-5 in one time; they are that fresh and tasty.



Cheese sandwich being my personal favourite was saved for the last bite. Normally, whenever I order cheese sandwich; it comprises of cheese and bread. Very few add black pepper or butter to it. Here, this sandwich had mixture of cheese, butter and black pepper evenly. Single bite and I got feel blast of butter and cheese in proper proportion in my mouth. The butter and cheese were amazingly spread that it was difficult to separate both. Adding to its taste was the black pepper magic. Once again, the bread was very soft and you could feel its freshness in your hands. 

The shop may not give you a look of exoticism but its food definitely is exotic. Reach out to your nearest outlet now!



Overall:

Food: 8/10

Ambiance: 6/10

Service: 6/10

Share your journey/experience of food whether it is in a renowned restaurant or a roadside stall. E-mail me the details and I will blog it for you. Send in your experiences with photos at cuisinesbynikita@gmail.com@gmail.com having 'Journey of a foodie' in subject line.

-Nikita Dudani

Comments